Re: Setting up problems

I couldn't agree more, Rick. In fact, this topic is a struggle for all intro courses. I teach the
process through examples. I ask them to look at how I approach the problem. I put the problem
into full conceptual context by drawing pictures, explain reasoning, and draw free-body diagrams
(if needed), long before actually attempting to "solve the problem." I repeatedly say that getting
"the answer" is not as important as fully understanding the situation conceptually and being able
to apply the formulas correctly.

I am currently teaching a gen-ed class at the university level and students have difficulty with
this, particularly if they had high school physics. Just this week, I had three students tell me
they did very well in high school physics, but they are having trouble doing homework and quiz
questions for the class. The reason is that I have selected problems that require more than
selecting a formula to get the answer. In essence, I am forcing them to give up the notion that
they can just "plug and chug." They have to think about the concepts involved and apply them
properly to get "the answer."

"Then I have them look at the related equations based of the info from the
problem."

This is where the difficulty lies. This is easy enough to do when they are
working Chapter 3 problems--the available equations are very limited. But
what about when they are taking the final exam and have a whole semester's
worth of equations. Now, if they don't have a STRONG grasp of the concepts,
they will get lost trying to figure out WHICH equations to look at. IF the
problem is not worded similarly to another they have done (and memorized)
then they're lost. Conceptual physics _must_ be a major part of all problem
solving courses.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
Energy 2100--class project
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ENERGY_PROJECT/ENERGY2100.htm