Got GPS? NYGPS mail group now has 400 members!

Greetings,

Interested in applying GPS technology to K-12 education?

If so, this is an invitation to join the NYGPS mail group, an online
community of educators and GPS users who are sharing information
and materials about using GPS use in school.

While we started out as a group for teachers in NYS, we now have members
across the country, including college faculty, professional GPS/GIS users,
and staff at various government agenices, including USGS.

NYGPS - using GPS for math, science & social studies education
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nygps/

Here's an example from Bernie Dodge, creator of the Webquest.

Cool Tools for Cool Teaching: Geocaching & GPS
http://edweb.sdsu.edu/courses/edtec570/cooltools/gps.html

"If you had to invent a question to wrap this topic around, that would be
it. In every moment of our waking lives, we're situated somewhere,
surrounded by somethings and somebodies. Where things are is a fundamental
issue, and because that's so it can lead to some graceful integration of
technology into the teaching of many different things. What technology?
GPS, or Global Positioning Satellites. The tools for using GPS are already
cheap and will soon be built into phones, cars and cameras. What better
time than now to bring them into your classroom? In this exercise, you'll
learn enough about GPS to begin to develop some ideas for educational
applications. There's a great WebQuest waiting to be written around the use
of GPS. Maybe you'll be the one to do it."

Does that sound like fun? C'mon over and join the group!

Anton

"I learn by going where I have to go." - Theodore Roethke

Anton Ninno, K-12 Tech Integration Trainer
Voice: 315-431-8407 E-mail: aninno@ocmboces.org
OCM-BOCES, Rodax 8 Building
6075 East Molloy Rd., Syracuse, NY 13206
OCM-BOCES http://www.ocmboces.org/