Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 23:24
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Help with Thesis on Gender Roles in HS Physics Classroom

Greetings,
My name is Laura Robertson and I am a senior at Vassar College who =
is
writing a thesis on gender roles in the physics classroom. I will
specifically be looking at the issues that females deal with. I woul=
greatly appreciate it if you could take some time to fill out this
questionnaire. Thank you in advance for your help!

Thank you,
Laura Robertson
larobertson@vassar.edu

------
I know that some of these questions are a bit broad, but I really wan=
t to
give you space to add what you feel is relevant information. Thank y=
ou
kindly for taking the time to fill this out!

1) Do you notice any stereotypical gender issues in your classroom:
a) During in-class discussion? (In "Changing the Pattern of Gend=
ered
Discussion" Guzzetti & Williams writes, "Females' reasons for not spe=
aking
out were not only because of their lack of self-confidence or fear of
violating social conventions, but also because they felt intimidated"=
)
No
b) While working in small groups? (e.g., problem sets?)
occasionally
c) While working in lab? (have you done any work on single-sex =
working
lab groups?)
N, and lab groups are single sex about 1/3 of the time.

2) Have you used inquiry learning in your classroom?
yes Do the students react
differently to this, as opposed to traditional methods?
Yes, they learn more robustly.

3) Has your school done any training with regards to the issues of g=
ender
roles in the classroom/sciences?
yes

4) Is this something that is talked about in your professional circl=
e?
rarely

5) Do you find there are extracurricular activities that help your fe=
male
students become more involved in physics?
no

6) Do you find the textbooks are relevant to both male and female le=
arners?
yes

7) Have you used computers in your classroom? =20
yes
If so, do males and females
appear to be at the same comfort level with them?
yes, although if there is a problem with the computers, males are mor=
e likely to help females than vice versa
What types of programs
do you find most helpful to the physics material?
Data collection and analysis (Vernier)

8) In your opinion, do you think the school counselors encourage the=
female
students in the sciences to the best of their ability?
yes

9) Have you had experience teaching in single-sex classrooms? =20
no
If so, what
differences did you notice between that and a coeducational environme=
nt?

10) Do you find that the social pressures of adolescence affect the =
female
students in the classroom?
yes, but not more than males.

11) Are there any additional observations you would like to add?

Thank you so very much for helping with this!

--
"Don't push the river, it flows by itself"
Frederick Perls