Re: Nutation

I was.

My search of the bodies of this thread reveal no one discusses nutation,
so I assume only precession is under discussion. Eisberg mentions
nutation and sleeping, but "These motions are more difficult than
uniform precession to observe experimentally and to analyze
theoretically, so they will not be treated in this book."

Eisberg wrote his introductory text in the spirit of the Berkeley
Physics Course and Feynman (Lighten and Sands), i.e. nearly all of
classical Physics in one humongous course. Notice that Berkeley gave up
this method and I assume this method is rather rare. Eisberg says (and
does) he uses a spiral approach, doing it in one course is evidently too
much.

However, I find a much used intro. text (Halliday and Resnick) does*,
optionally, discuss the precessing top including two questions in the
problem set. It, however, misses the opportunity of applying to the
earth moon system, which I think would've added interest to the course.

* I didn't find the necessary proofs.

bc, who didn't have the dubious benefit of dealing with precession as a
Freshman.

RAUBER, JOEL wrote:

Bernard C. wrote in part regarding the nutation discussion:

So, this is freshman Physics?

Short answer: no

Slightly longer answer: I don't think anyone was making any representation
as to this being a freshman physics level reply or question?

Joel R.