Re: statistical fluctuations

Not exactly.

I think I understand L's reasoning and if the missing info is what I
think it is then his analysis is approx. correct. Assumptions: the
background is due to exposure from the time of manufacture to
development and is a long time. [slo boat from Eng. to NJ] say 37
days. Therefore, the background is, one count per day. +/- ~ 0.2

Suppose the time between the two developments is one day. Then the
counts are 10 +/- 3.2 minus one +/- 0.2 = 9 +/- 3.3

I've assumed the radon, etc. from the ocean is the same as Ludwik's
basement where he performed the exposure and development, etc.
Obviously, a bad assumption. However, unless the plastic is well
shielded (two inches of Pb?), the quick 30k ft altitude may be worse
than the slo boat. When I fly, next, I certainly will take one or more
along with my Soviet, pocket, G-M counter. [Have these plastics been
evaluated by exposure to energetic protons, deuterons, neutrons, muons,
etc.? Will it detect Compton electrons?]

Another point: how, if so, does the first development affect the
sensitivity of the plastic as a detector, and why can't one do a third
development?

I've discovered, with the help of the U. Washington lab. mgr. (Jason
Alferness) a method of separating some of the daughters of U. It
results in a "cute" decay experiment similar to the Cs => Ba ion
exchange "cow". Furthermore, this particular separation is incomplete
and results in a rather short half life and a much longer, but practical
(I think) one. After I've made the apparatus and tested it, I hope to
permanently separate them and have a source of different energy Alphas.

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

On Friday, Sep 5, 2003, referring to my illustration