Re: Physics lab and lecture grade

Everywhere I been aware of the grading (two UC campuses, USC, and Keele
[UK]) the two are integrated. In most cases the TA gave the grade to
the course instructor to do with what he wanted*. In a particular case
at Keele I attended the faculty meeting when final grades were given,
because one student was on the line to get a first [summa cum laude?].
When I've taught, I've rarely found much difference between the
"lecture" and lab. performance, so I ended up telling them that, and the
lab. would be used to bump someone on the line up (or rarely down).

Note, at many locations there is a full credit lab with little
connection to a course. The advanced lab. at UCSC is considered by the
faculty (and most students) as the most important and difficult of the
courses. The intermediate lab. (also five units) intermediate in
difficulty, etc.

There is the matter of academic freedom in this question.

* some are quite arithmetical, assigning points to the xams, class
participation, lab, home work, etc.; others as I did.

bc

Gonzalez-Espada, Wilson wrote:

Hello all:

In my department we are debating our grading system in physics. Currently, students enroll in a 4-credit intro physics course and receive one grade that integrates lecture and lab performance (25% lab; 75% lecture). In our physical science courses, students enroll in a lecture section (PHSC 1013) and an independent lab section (PHSC 1021). They receive a grade for lecture and a separate grade for lab. We would like to standardize our grading system.

I will appreciate any information about how grading is done in your physics departments and the rationale behind it. If you feel strongly one way or the other, even though your university does not assign grades that way, your contribution is also appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Wilson J. Gonzalez-Espada, Ph.D.
Asst Professor of Physical Science/Science Education
School of Physical and Life Sciences
Arkansas Tech University
1701 N. Boulder Ave. (McEver Hall)
Russellville, AR 72801