Re: Physics lab and lecture grade

At 1:10 PM -0500 9/4/03, Gonzalez-Espada, Wilson wrote:
Hello all:

In my department we are debating our grading system in physics. Currently,
students enroll in a 4-credit intro physics course and receive one grade
that integrates lecture and lab performance (25% lab; 75% lecture). In our
physical science courses, studen
ts enroll in a lecture section (PHSC 1013) and an independent lab section
(PHSC 1021). They receive a grade for lecture and a separate grade for
lab. We would like to standardize our grading system.

We used to have the two grades combined in one (one registration for the
student that included a lab meeting time) four years ago when we were on a
quarter system. When we switched to semesters we made the (departmental
and division) decision to separate out the labs, so the students register
for two different classes.

The pros are that workload is counted more fairly now, we think, and...

The cons are that we now have to give final exams in the labs, and we now
get questions about retaking courses from students who passed either the
lecture or the lab but not the other.

Neither of the arguments I just wrote is monumental; i.e., either way can work.

Larry