. . . a cool review (was COLD FUSION)

Brian's message forced me to go back to the camcorder
and to read temperatures. For some reason the temperatures
I typed were wrong. Here are the data again:

Current through the two cells in series: 3.5 A
Control cell (#1) 3.03 volts and 89.1 degrees C
Sample cell (#2) 2.80 volts and 89.8 degrees C

In other words, the difference of temperatures was 0.7 C.

It would be foolish to use these data as an indication
that something nuclear is going on. My emphasis was
on the fact that a teacher, John Dash, was brave enough
to give students a project based on a controversial
subject. No attempts were made, as far as I know, to
argue that excess heat can not possibly be attributed to
chemical reactions, etc. The assumed "steady state"
situation can also be questioned. No calorimeter was
used in the experiment to measure the amount of
thermal energy.

The nature of the apparent excess of thermal energy
should be discussed but not necessarily at the level at
which students learn about differences between volts,
watts and amperes. The next questions should be:

a) how can the observed temperature difference
of 0.7 degrees C be explained?

b) what else can we do with available tools?

c) what additional tools would help us?

d) etc. etc.

Personally I am very critical of calorimetric data when
heating rates are very small; nuclear signatures reported
at the conference are much more convincing. They
show that something very unusual is taking place in
some cold fusion experiments. But that is a different
subject.
Ludwik Kowalski