Re: power-grid physics

From an horologist friend:

Bryan and list, in Utah (SLC) last week the AC clock in the same room as a
precision mechanical weight regulator suddenly showed approx a 19 second
"gaining" of the regulator. This being very odd, I adjusted neither clock
and now they are within 1 1/2 second of each other. I think the line
frequency drifted off as the regulator is within 3 sec/month
consistently of
WWV Fort Collins. So I guess the generating plant speeds up the frequency
to maintain accuracy over a long period of time. Or, so it seems. Wiser
heads out there, please set me straight. Bill Maier

Subject: [clocks] - Are AC clocks slow this week?

A physics teacher in Michigan has reported that his AC clocks are
about 18 seconds slow. He attributes this to the recent blackout and
slowness of the power grid to return to full regulation of the
frequency. Has anyone else noticed this?

bc

Clarence Bennett wrote:

Yesterday I noticed the synchronous clocks I had reset last week were
lagging by seventeen seconds, compared to the GPS.

Then a midnight, they had advanced to -15 s.

At 7:30 today it was -18 s.

The grid is not up to speed yet.

--

Clarence Bennett