Re: power-grid physics

On Friday, August 22, 2003 4:06 PM, Steven T. Ratliff wrote:
Is this what you were envisioning:

Generate dc power, convert to AC, step up the voltage for the
transmission lines, and use a step-down transformer at the other end?

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the subject to be envisioning
anything. Basically, with all of the discussion about the difficulties
working with AC, I started thinking about Lawrence Ruby's article "Why
DC for Long-Range Power Transmission" (Physics Teacher, May 2002).

P.S. Thanks to Vickie Frohne for correcting my mistake about Edison vs.
Tesla/Westinghouse.

Robert Cohen; 570-422-3428; www.esu.edu/~bbq
East Stroudsburg University; E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301