email worm outbreak

On 08/20/2003 08:28 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

> I've just been bombarded w/ ~ 15 "spams" w/ attachments.

So few? You're lucky.

> No problem, except it may have caused me to miss at least one post on
> the above thread.

If in doubt, check the archives at
http://lists.nau.edu/archives/phys-l.html

> p.s. some of the mail, which I hadn't sent, was from servers claiming
> my mail to them either had unremovable viruses or the addressees
> doesn't exist,

The worm du jour, like many others, forges
return address. Feebleminded virus-protection
software sends messages to the alleged return
address, thereby doubling the amount of bogus
traffic on the net. Sigh.

> and what is a .pif file?

http://www.google.com/search?q=pif-file

See also