Re: power-grid physics

"But guess what: They don't even try to phase-lock
them. They try to keep the frequency everywhere
close to 60Hz, but they don't even try to phaselock
them."

Intuitively, I suspect that two generators brought to close to the same
freq. then connected to supply a common load will self synchronize. On
the other hand, they might diverge. In that case they try again.

John S. Denker wrote:

Hi --

I've been trying to figure out the basic
physics that made the blackout possible.

My main source of information has been
-- training manuals, for training powerplant and
grid operators. These are downloadable from various
utilities.
-- NERC standards, downloadable from NERC.

I've had somewhat limited success figuring out

bc