Re: Fluids Physlet

I agree with everything you say, Stuart. I don't think any (A,B or C) is
physical.

1.) When the top of the wood is covered in oil then the fraction of wood
floating is:
r = (wood - water)/(oil - water), as in my previous post. This is independent
of the oil depth - disqualifying B and C.

2) But when the wood top is not covered with oil:
r = (water - wood + oil*x/c) /(water), where x is the oil depth.

3) When x=0, this is r = (water - wood)/ water - the usual Archimedes problem.
This is clearly smaller than the original r. in (1)
So you are right - the block doesn't move until the oil level goes beneath the
wood block's top - then it sinks lower. This disqualifies A.

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net
http://www.velocity.net/~trebor