Re: The W & Z are subatomic particles?

Bernard wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernard Cleyet [mailto:anngeorg@PACBELL.NET]
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 4:04 AM

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU INTERVIEW A NOBEL PRIZE
WINNER ON SUBJECTS OTHER THAN WHAT THEY WON THE PRIZE FOR

[From an interview by Dutch journalist Herbert Blankesteijn with Simon
van der Meer who received a Nobel Prize for Physics in 1983 for his
contributions to the discovery of the W and Z subatomic particles.

What is your opinion about chewing gum?

A. Chewing gum? That's very useful to stick things together. If you have
a hole in your radiator, you can plug it with chewing gum.

Does a brisk cup of tea stimulate the thought processes?

A. No, I don't think so.

How about eating fish?

A. I'm not so enthusiastic about that. I don't do it too often.

Do you have any advice for young people who are entering the field?

A. What I would recommend to them is, if they have some idea - however
crazy it is - they should check up on it. Once in a hundred times it
will turn out to be a good idea.]

No reference, unfortunately.

I don't have the precise reference, but these are from the "Annals of Improbable Research" ... sort of Mad Magazine by and for Nobel Laureates and wannabes!

"The wise person doesn't give the right
answers, but poses the right questions."
- Claude Levi Strauss
George Spagna
Department of Physics
Randolph-Macon College