Below the ground state?

I would appreciate if a spectroscopist or an
astronomer could comment on a recent
Physical Review article of R. Mills and P. Ray
entitled "Extreme ultraviolet spectroscopy of
helium–hydrogen plasma." Does it really
demonstrate "fractional Rydberg states of
atomic hydrogen?"

The article was published last June. The formal
reference is:
J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 36 (2003) 1535–1542

I would be happy to attach the pdf file containing
the article but Phys-L does not allow this. I will
e-mail the attachment to those who ask for it in
private.
Ludwik Kowalski
kowalskil@mail.montclair.edu