Re: Xylophone Magnetometer

On Thursday, Jul 31, 2003, at 22:35 US/Pacific, Brian Whatcott wrote:

I notice an unfamiliar form of magnetometer is
coming from the nanomachine shops: the xylophone magnetometer.
A current through a mechanically resonant bar results in a
deflection due the Lorentz force in the presence of a magnetic field.
The mechanical Q of the device provides a useful sensitivity
enhancement. Thought to have uses in sensing stray fields at close
quarters, say in noise reduction measures for outboard
magnetometers aboard spacecraft.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!

Interesting; I never heard about this. My guess
is that the instrument is for measuring amplitudes
of sinusoidally changing fields. Is this correct?
Ludwik Kowalski