Re: atmospheric blanket / greenhouse effect

You are correct. My data implied the absorption above 15 micron was all
due to CO2, and I didn't look at LW's carefully, and missed the rotation
above 15 micron. The absorption below the 8 => 13 window is only ~ 10%
max. [I'm assuming the earth is a BB at 275 K -- one of your references,
inter alia]. I discounted the absorption in the window, which I
estimate to be as much as 50% *. So I thought all the absorption was >
15 microns, 50% (of the BB spectrum) and due to CO2. Water liquid, I
didn't consider (and wrote so) may be an additional large amount in the
window and below.

* my absorption band fig. is for 17 mm water; the other graphs (solar
absorption spectra) , mine, LW and yours probably, are for 20 mm. Since
the absorption follows Bouguer's law, the effect is greater than the 17%
difference. [I think.]

This changes the note I was about to post, which I will anyway.

bc