Re: Y chromosome, dropped magnet, S pole in Canada

1) I would not say "magnetism is a force," as in the
World Book Encyclopedia.
2) The second part of Herb's definition, "Magnetism
is a force associated with magnets and magnetic
materials," is acceptable only when the term
"magnetic material" has already been defined,
INDEPENDENTLY (avoiding a circular definition).
3) Brian introduces the term "essence." What is it?

I have nothing to offer, only a recognition that
defining things is sometimes more difficult than
describing examples and getting used to words.
Ludwik Kowalski