truth to it.
Glenn Malin
University HS, Irvine CA

larry.smith@SNOW.EDU 07/15/03 14:22 PM >>>
Can anyone verify or refute the following story? I would think the
MASER
would be a refutation.

At 1:08 PM -0400 7/14/03, Wordsmith wrote:

--------------------------------

From: J. Ramanand (ramanand_j@persistent.co.in)
Subject: On acronyms

An interesting (and perhaps apocryphal too) story about the coining of
"LASER" (for "Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation")
is that the initial description of this physical concept was to be
"Light
Oscillation by Stimulated Emission of Radiation".

Why the "oscillation" was replaced by "amplification" is amply clear
from
the two possible acronyms!

Thanks,
Larry