Re: Let's start a new convention Teaching Magnetism

I have no problem with equal lines in and out. My problem is are they
the same ones? In the optical case in a medium they aren't -- does a
similar thing happen in a magnetic material? In the case of
para/ferro, I suppose it's a bunch of current loops adding together;
what about an anti-ferromagnetic material. My point is if they aren't
the same ones, then they do start and stop.

BTW no one? has mentioned braking magnets to show poles are paired and
there may be a field inside. Drilling a hole part way into a magnet and
flipping a coil would be instructive.

bc, who wonders why in / out is not consistent with continuous "flow",
as in pumping water.

John Mallinckrodt wrote:

I wrote:

cut

So my point was simply that the terms N and S may better avoid the
implication that lines end on In poles and begin on Out poles, an
implication that seems somewhat inherent in the terms In and Out.

John