Re: Let's start a new convention Teaching Magnetism

Microscopically OK, but HS (beginning students) usually don't think
microscopically (one exception I immediately think of is gas kinetic
theory), or am I a bit behind the times?

bc, who wonders if there is (Philosophically &/or Physically) a problem
with thinking there is a "line" leaving a bar magnet that is the same
as one that "entered" the other end.

John Mallinckrodt wrote:

I'm a bit lost here -- how does this conflict or confuse G's law? This
is because I don't follow the "fact" that field goes into and leaves

from a pole. I thought the idea of pole was it was a place where field

enamated from or disappeared into, not both.

That IS the idea and it is why the concept of a "magnetic pole" is at
least a little tricky since lines of magnetic induction do not (as
far we know today) have beginnings or ends.

John