Re: Appropriate for Gen Phys? was: comprehending electric/magnetic interactions

I guess my question is (try to forgive the loaded language), why
force a formal model on kids <at that level>. The fun of science is
wading through all the wrong models. That's some of what we're trying to
convey, right? And with that comment, I'll engage in a diversion on a
related subject that I just happen to be reading about. Enter the
Y-Chromosome.
A recent enjoyable, amusing, (and a bit ribald) book that got a
rave review in Nature, is <Y: The Descent of Men> by Steve Jones. Jones
is an evolutionary biologist and a noted authority on Darwin, as you might
guess from the title.
The theme of the book is the evolutionary self-destruction of the
Y-chromosome stemming from the fact that there is only one in the male
(note that I am not specifying species). This leads to the well-known
prediction that the human male will become extinct in about 10 Myears,
simply as a result of reproductive errors. That is, there is no second Y
that can serve as a model for correction of an error.
The female line, by contrast, is much stronger because the X's
descend in pairs, enabling the correction of errors in the reproductive
process.
In the last couple of weeks, however, the prediction of the end of
maleness has changed radically, and it appears that we've all swallowed
the wrong model. Analysis of the Y-genome has discovered that DNA,
previously thought to be "junk", turns out to be duplicates of "real" DNA
needed for reproduction. In other words, the Y can correct reproductive
defects using internal models, rather than an external model like the X
does.
So in the year 2003 we can sing: Hallelujah, mankind (emphasis on
the "man" syllable) is saved! This is part of what I think to be the
excitement of science.