Re: when to write radians

Hi Joe,
I think you're correct.

I tell my students that the radian is not an SI unit involving mass,
length (since m/m = no unit), time, or current. Rather, it is a tag that
often must be kept in order to tell HOW an angle has been measured.
The sine of 30 deg = the sine of pi/6 rad = the sine of 1/12 revolution,
but the sine 30 deg is NOT equal to the sine of pi/6 deg or the sine of
1/12 deg.

A good example of when the radian is kept and when it can be ignored is in
the simple harmonic motion expression v = (omega)A sin[(omega)t], which
is only correct if the angular frequency omega is expressed in rad/s
(or some other unit of time).
In the (omega)A part, we have ([m/m]/s)m, giving units of m/s for v.
In the sin[(omega)t] part, we have the sine of (rad/s)s = the sine of rad.

Tom Sandin