Re: Season misconceptions in newspaper

At 08:27 24/06/03 -0700, Roger Haar wrote:

I have wondered if running a halogen lamp very
dim would actually shorten its life because the
dissociation on the filament might be less
effective.

I can confirm that running on low voltage does drastically shorten the life
of the lamp. To something like a few minutes in the case of the 12V halogen
lamps we were using as variable light sources a while back.

Another issue: there was a scare a while back about the combination of high
temperature filament and quartz envelope resulting in the emission of
significant levels of harmful UV. Has this been confirmed?

Mark

Mark Sylvester
UWCAd
Duino Trieste Italy