Re: luminous efficiency (was Re: Season misconceptions in newspaper)

What surprised me is that 60W halogen bulbs have comparable rated light
output to 60W regular bulbs the last time I looked at them in the store.
They usually have some claims about being "more efficient". Perhaps
they put out more light in the more visible portion of the spectrum to
validate the claim of higher efficiency?

electric power consumption = 60 W
optical power in the visible = lumens (lm) - this is marked on the package

Hence luminous efficiency = lm/W - typically 17 lm/W for incandescents and
100 lm/W for fluorescents - these are the benchmarks you want to compare
your bulb to for claims of efficiency.

As suggested by BC, you can use a camera meter to estimate efficiency.
Better yet, you can measure the emission spectrum using a monochromator, and
use the standard CIE photopic (daylight eye responsivity) curve and 683 lm/W
conversion at its peak of 555 nm to calculate it. (Yes, this means the
largest possible efficiency a source could have is 683 lm/W and it would be
green, probably an LED of the future.) One should either use an integrating
sphere or assumed (probably isotropic) angular emission pattern.

additional references:
* http://usna.edu/Users/physics/mungan/Scholarship/LightOutput.pdf
* TPT article by MacIsaac
* PHYS-L archives