From: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu] On
Behalf
Of Tim Folkerts
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2003 3:32 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Season misconceptions in newspaper

I have an interesting tag that I stole from a lamp in a store. It
claims that an expensive lamp which uses a 60 W halogen bulb is more
efficient and saves money over a conventional 60 W bulb. I compared
the
rated lumens and wattage with a conventional light bulb and found
they
were comparable. Hmmm I have asked students whether the claim was
true.

Of course, if the halogen bulb costs 3x as much, but lasts 10x longer,
then
it DOES save money!

Timothy Folkerts

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do
nothing." - Edmund Burke