Re: physics final project

Sorry, I'm late on this response, perhaps it can serve as food for thought
for next year. Sometimes I have students create a "cartoonish" roller
coaster. I list the principles they must address. They then create a 2
dimensional roller coaster. Most coasters are one a series of white pieces
of paper glued together. On their roller coaster they label locations with a
circled letter. They then come up with a list of questions and answers about
these locations. Assuming they have met all the criteria they receive a "B."
To get an "A" they must answer and critique the questions from another
roller coaster. I have done a few variations of this. Including having them
earn point by the difficulty of their questions. For example, questions that
combine concepts in order to get the correct answer are worth more. For the
most part the students have enjoyed this challenge and put in a lot of extra
work when they begin to shut down in other classes.
-Tony
Tony Wayne Those that can, do.
wayne@pen.k12.va.us Those that understand, teach.

I'm a 10th grade conceptual physics teacher ("Physics First") -- new =
to the group. I'm curious if anyone has any ideas/suggestions for a =
culminating or final project in physics that somehow involves say all=
of a semester's main concepts in one meaningful, tied-together, mult=
iple part, theme?

For example, a project that includes concepts of heat, heat transfer,=
waves & vibrations, sound, light, and electricity & magnetism.

Any suggestions?=20

thanks,

mfoster