Re: Assessment

I was part of the Project 2061 which used Science for all Americans
(SFAA) to develop curriculum. SFAA is a good read if you're interested
in what a group of folks thought every student should know by the time
he finished 12th grade. On the other hand, if you're more interested in
WHEN we thought certain ideas should be taught, then you'd want to read
our Benchmarks, which was developed by a group of about 20 educators
from various grade levels under the guidance of AAAS. We also developed
a set of concept maps that show linkages between concepts that guided
the development of Benchmarks. Those maps are available now in print
(but I don't remember off hand what they're called). All of these
materials are available for the public to read. SFAA is probably worth
reading by anyone, but you may get discouraged with how much we said
should be learned and how much really is. Benchmarks is an excellent
resource for the classroom teacher who needs to see how their part of
the puzzle fits into the big picture (an important element of good
teaching is to know why we teach what we teach). I don't know that the
maps are very useful if you didn't actually create them. But have a
look anyway.

Steve Clark, Ph.D.