Re: Teaching logic is urgent (the only reasonable transformatio

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, pvalev wrote:

Let me make a seemingly pompous statement here. Although I have
not read enough about performed experiments, I am sure the
principle, in its claim that the speed of light is independent
of the speed of the observer, has NEVER been tested.

Nonsense. There are many such experiments. For instance, the
1932 Kennedy-Thorndike interferometer experiment [1] excluded any
velocity dependence of an observer instantaneously at rest in the
lab inertial frame. More recently, in 1990 Hils and Hall [2]
improved on the Kennedy-Thorndike technique utilizing a laser
locked to a reference line. No variation associated with an
instantaneous observer was found, to 1 part in 2x10^(-13).

[1] R.J. Kennedy and E.M. Thorndike, "Experimental Establishment
of the Relativity of Time," _Physical Review_, 42, pp. 400-418,
1932

[2] D. Hils and J.L. Hall, "Improved Kennedy-Thorndike Experiment
to Test Special Relativity," _Physical Review Letters_, 64, pp.
1697-1700, 1990.

--
Stephen
sjs@compbio.caltech.edu

Ignorance is just a placeholder for knowledge.

Printed using 100% recycled electrons.