Re: Test question

Well, at the risk of seeming ... I'll give it a go.

The cup should not be fully submerged to start. So adding another mass
inside the cup should depress it further into the water. This sholuld
displace some water and make it rise.

That's assuming the cup is large enough, it doesn't hit the bottom of the
pan, and I can treat the blocks as just masses to be added.

Peter Schoch

What is the answer to the following question
that appears on a recent examination in New York State.

A plastic cup containing a wood block is floating in a pan of water. If
another wood block is placed in the cup, what will happen to the level
of the water in the pan?

A. It will go down
B. It will go up
c. It will stay the same