Re: Teaching logic is urgent

--- Bob LaMontagne <rlamont@POSTOFFICE.PROVIDENCE.EDU> wrote:
Pentcho Valev wrote:

Some time ago I showed that special relativity is based on
inconsistent premises.
Now I am giving another example. In
thermodynamics, .............. (Snip)

I've been away for a while and am catching up on postings to the
list. I was curious
about one of your previous postings related to the statement above.
I assumed there
would be some responses, but for some reason I can't find a thread
that continues your
subject heading "a Relativity Problem". I'm a little hesitant to
reply, because I find
all the treads related to your postings end after one response. I
hope I'm not about
to post something that no one else on the list is interested in.

Anyway - your previous post stated (I'll put it in quotes and
separate it by a dashed
line since it runs a few paragraphs)

"The following problem could be given to students. For the
derivation
of Lorentz transformations, Einstein introduced

(A) x' = 0 <-> x = vt

He should have introduced, or WE now introduce, in accordance with
the special relativity principle, a premise symmetrical to (A):

(B) x = 0 <-> x' = -vt'

Einstein also introduced, for a beam moving along the x-axis,

(C) x = ct <-> x' = ct'

Now the problem is that (A), (B) and (C) are incompatible. (A) and
(C) are compatible and lead to Lorentz transformations but it is
easy
to see that one cannot deduce (B) from Lorentz transformations. (A)
and (B) are also compatible and lead to transformations different
from Lorentz transformations. (B) and (C) are also compatible and
lead to transformations insignificantly different from Lorentz
transformations. So, in order to be able to proceed, we must declare
either (A) or (B) or (C) as false. Which one is false?"
-----

You say (A) and (C) are compatible and lead to the Lorentz
transformations. If I take
one of those transformations, namely

x = (x' + vt')/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

and substitute x' = -vt', I get x=0, which is your statement (B).

You have chosen a version of Lorentz transformations that agrees with
(B) but does not agree with (A). Substitute x=vt and you will not
obtain x'=0.

In like manner, Starting with (B) and (C) and applying the Lorentz
transformations,
(A) appears as a result. Also, (C) itself is just a trivial result
of applying the
same transformations. What's always surprising is how easily the
standard Lorentz
transformations tie (A), (B), and (C) together so well.

They don't.

From past discussions on this list, I know there are differences
of opinion as to
whether (A), (B) and (C) all by themselves are sufficient to
produce the Lorentz
transformations, but the transformations (once proposed) certainly
make (A), (B) and
(C) consistent.

Also, while I'm catching up, I don't quite follow why non-
conservative bulk dielectric
effects in the capacitor problem require a revision of the
fundamentals of electricity
and magnetism. Non-conservative tidal effects between gravitating
objects don't demand
a revision of the conservative gravitational force - or a rejection
of the Second Law
of thermodynamics.

I agree about the second law (the presence of non-conservative forces
does not necessarily refute it) and I am incompetent about
gravitational theory. However, if the latter, like electostatics, is
built on the assumption that only conservative forces are acting, the
presence of non-conservative (gas pressure-like!) forces is fatal for
the theory.

Pentcho