Re: SN1987A in Support of Tachyon Neutrinos (fwd)

In a message dated 5/25/2003 2:34:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jlu@HEP.ANL.GOV writes:

The evidence I am aware of is the tritium beta-decay end-point
uncertainty, which overlaps the negative mass squated region. The
uncertainty is large; after all, the mass-squared differences are no
measured to be of
the order of 10^{-5} eV, so if 1 neutrino is massless, or nearly so, the
beta-deecay end point uncertainty is huge in comparison.
I have just checked the LSD web-site, and I don't see any claim
for the data you are discussing. Where are these data reported?
Early neutrinos from a supernova event are more likely to be just
that; neutrinos that got out during the first stages. The main burst of
neutrinos takes a very long time to plough through the dense material that
collapses onto the center of the star, and then there are bounces. The
burst cannot be detected optically for a while because the light takes
even longer to escape.
If someone is making a serious claim for evidence of superluminal
particles I would expect it to be submitted to the ArXiV. Do you have a
citation?

Yes, I have quite a few citations on this. I will list them at the end of
this post. Let me respond to your objections by summarizing where I think we are
with this. The evidence that neutrinos MAY be spacelike particles is

1) Persistent measurement of negative mass squared values for
measurements of electron neutrino mass in tritium decay experiments. ( Systematic
errors can not be ruled out at this time)

2) Persistent measurement of negative mass squared values for
measurements of muon neutrino mass in muon decay experiments. ( Systematic
errors can not be ruled out at this time)

3) A fall off in the detection of cosmic ray protons at 4.5Pev
+-2.2 which may be a signal of weak force proton decay. This is only possible
if the electron neutrino is a tachyon, because it's possible for the tachyon
electron neutrino to have negative energy if the proton is boosted to a
sufficiently high energy. The required proton energy regime for this to occur is a
fair match up with the tritium decay measurements of the electron neutrino's
mass. ( Alternate explanations are possible for this 4.5 Pev dip in proton cosmic
ray detection.)

4) Advanced detection of neutrinos from SN1987A which are theorized
to be either the m_2 or m_3 mass eigenstates which being heavier would have
the highest superluminal velocity. ( Need more data to validate this. A repeat
performance from another supernova event would be helpful. I note your points
which are certainly a possible alternate explanation.)

I think the point to be made here is that one or even two of the above would
not be very convincing for predicting bizarre entities like tachyons. However,
I think the cumulative effect of the above forces us to put the notion that
neutrinos are tachyons in the possible column.

Also the objections to potential causality problems with space like particles
has been answered invoking the reinterpretation principle. That is,
observation of causality violations will be censored just as they are for negative
mass, time reversed (anti particles) particles. Also it has been demonstrated
that it's possible to have a consistent QFT for tachyons by modifying the Dirac
equation using "proper" mass.

Bob Zannelli

<A HREF="http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/9904/9904290.pdf";>http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/9904/9904290.pdf</A>

<A HREF="http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-ph/pdf/0304/0304221.pdf";>http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-ph/pdf/0304/0304221.pdf</A>