Re: Non-conservative forces

"John S. Denker" wrote:.

2) I don't see how static friction can be a force FIELD
so therefore the question of whether it is derived
from a potential is unaskable. I don't see how the
work can be a function of path (or the opposite) if
there are no paths (because things are static).

****Snip****

4) To enlarge the discussion, consider Coriolis
forces. They are a function of velocity, not a
function of position. They are manifestly not
the gradient of any potential. But they contribute
zero work to the particle, regardless of path, so
their work is path-independent. I consider them
conservative for this reason.

Just a thought - place a crate on the back of a flatbed truck - then drive
it around the block a few times and park it in the original location. Net
work is zero and is path independent. Static doesn't necessarily exclude
motion.

Bob at PC