Re: shower curtains

It turns out that organic chemists have developed methods to estimate
boiling point from structural features of an organic molecule.
Features are assigned values ( Boiling Point Numbers or bpns)
which are totaled and entered in a table of boiling points
which depend on the cube root of the sum of bpns
in this way:
BP = 230.14 * (bpn)^(1/3) - 543 (degC).

Most bpns are positive:
Carbon in the main chain - 0.8 (each)
Hydrogen attached to the main chain 1.0 (each)
a saturated butyl radical in the main chain rates 9.7
an alcohol - OH like R CH2OH rates 10.8
an acid - COOH like R CH2COOH rates 19.3

...but there *is* at least one structure that collects a negative rating:
A saturated radical attached to the main chain of the sort
described as a 2,2-dimethyl group rates -0.4

This method can often estimate bp to within 1 to 4 degC
(following Lange's HB of Chemistry)

Brian Whatcott Altus OK