Re: TdS is not dQ or d(anything)

"John S. Denker" wrote:

Oops, lost me there. If we were talking about DELTA V,
then I would agree that two states were involved. But
d(V) is defined, as we agreed above, as the limit where
the states become arbitrarily close together. So to
know d(V) we need only consider the properties of the
system in one arbitrarily small region. This makes
d(V) a function of state.

I'm confused. Unless there is some redefinition of dV going on,

dv = (dv/dT) dT + (dv/dP) dP,

where the first term in parenthesis is evaluated at constant P and the
second at constant T. At a particular point, dT and dP are arbitrary,
which means dv at a particular point is not unique - so how can it be a
state function?

Bob at PC