Re: What makes science powerful?

Thanks for the many responses to my question. I shared many of them with my
students. As we discussed the power of science I developed a list of words
and phrases that served as starting points for discussion . The list is in
no particular order and is by no means exhaustive but it represents the
things I think of when I ponder the power of science.

Peer review
Honest assessment
Experiment is king... sometimes
Verifiable
Mathematics fits nature
Nothing is certain
Science is not a respecter of persons
Patterns
Discovery for the sake of discovery
Working in Collaboration
Working in Solitude
Willingness to change
Intellectually satisfying
Cumulative
Question everything
Simplify (massless strings)
Demand evidence
Clever
measurement
Risk takers
Bold ideas
Symmetry works
Think, Think, Think

Cliff Parker

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think. Niels Bohr