Re: Burning CD

However, many of you, I presume, are familiar with Vernier's Graphical
analysis. It automatically opens the installation procedure; one merely
need "hit" return and choose where it will insert its files. This is for
OS 9. I presume it does the same with X.

bc

S Goelzer wrote:

Hi
From having read Apple's sacred text - The Human Interface Guidelines,
I can pretty much assure you that the Apple interface will thwart you
at every turn when you try to make anything automatic. The core
philosophy has been to make sure the user has control (or least the
illusion of control) of what is happening. Only inits and extensions
will do what you want and they are very tricky to get right (I avoid
all of the little hacks that can be downloaded - they are probably the
single greatest cause of Mac OS problems).

It may be possible to write an Apple Script that runs the CD as you
wish - a simple start icon in a window that pops open on insert. Apple
script is a stunningly powerful hook into the Mac OS and can be very
simple to set up. It may even be possible to have the script fire when
the CD is inserted. (not much experience with Apple Script, but plenty
of website materials out there).

With OS X and its unix core, (the learning curve just went vertical),
it should be possible to do this - but I still am mostly ignored by
Terminal for lack knowledge.

HTH
Scott