3-way lamp problem

I have one of those 3-way touch lamps that doesn't have a switch on it.
Touch it once, it comes on. Touch it a second time, the bulb gets
brighter. Touch it a third time, the bulb gets even brighter. A fourth
touch turns the lamp off. The bulb burned out the other day, so I got a
replacement. The original was a 40 W type A bulb, and that's what I got
as a replacement. Now when I screw the bulb in, the lamp comes on at
full brightness. Touching the lamp does absolutely nothing. I have to
unplug it to turn it off. Any ideas on what's going on here? Honestly,
I don't even know how these touch lamps work.

Cheers,
Joe Heafner