Re: Variable speed of light

On Wednesday, April 30, 2003 2:59 PM, Chuck Britton wrote:
If the results are not acceptable (to you), then the foundation(s)
from which the results are derived are not acceptable either.

case closed (?)

The experiments DO verify the results - so we FORCE ourselves to
accept the foundations that predict these results. (until a better
set of explanations comes along)

This reminds me of the time when I went to one of my professors in grad school with a proof that showed that one can obtain the Lorentz contractions even if c is not constant as long as the observers assume it is. His response was that it doesn't matter if c *really* is constant or not - what matters is whether the assumption allows us to make predictions that are supported by our observations. It does. Case closed.

Robert Cohen; rcohen@po-box.esu.edu; 570-422-3428; http://www.esu.edu/~bbq
Physics, East Stroudsburg Univ., E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301