From: Joseph Bellina [mailto:jbellina@SAINTMARYS.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 1:43 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Would Physics First Increase the Number of Physics Majors?

I too have been involved with elementary school teachers. A colleague
and I created a workshop to encourage these teachers to use the new
science kits in a creative way, using a guided inquiry model. In
addition I have begun a Physics by Inquiry for the elementary education
majors at my college.

I disagree with you assessment of kits. In particular many of the
physical science ones need little or no renewal. Further in some school
districts, the district has set up a distribution system that includes
what renewal is needed. The biggest problem is the teachers reluctance
to use them...there is all that stuff to deal with, and the teachers
think they have to know everything. Of course they don't...after all
science is about learning and not about knowing.
It is prohibited for anyone to disclose, copy or distribute the contents of
this message. Benedictine University does not review, edit or censor email
sent out through it system. The University however does maintain and
policies regarding the acceptable use of its technology resources. All
messages express solely of the sender, which are not to attributed to
Benedictine University, and may not be copied or distributed without this
disclaimer.