Re: Why called diffraction?

On 04/24/2003 04:14 PM, John Mallinckrodt wrote:
... "single slit diffraction," "edge diffraction," or "circular
aperture diffraction." Nothing that I would want very much to call
"scattering" goes on in those cases and they seem to me to be pretty
much the poster children for the phenomena called "diffraction."

Point taken.

Without disagreeing with the above, I would add
diffraction gratings and crystal Xray diffraction
patterns to the set of poster children.

So, how about this:
diffraction is defined to be:
a change in direction of a wave that cannot
be explained in terms of ray optics, requiring
instead physical optics.
(And sometimes including the raylike zeroth-
order diffracted beam as a trivial case but
a natural generalization. Call it zeroth-order
diffracted or undiffracted; I don't care.)

=============

Of course, all "diffraction" and "interference" phenomena (as well as
"reflection" and "refraction" phenomena for that matter)

and everything else in wave mechanics

> can be
considered to be the result of "Interference" (with a capital I).

Right. We agree this is a truism. Hence it has
no discriminatory power, and mentioning interference
in a definition, as I tried to do earlier, is pretty
much a waste.

I would say that "interference" is what happens when you
combine waves from a finite number of sources and diffraction is what
happens when you combine waves from an "infinite" number of sources.

Suppose I have two pointlike scatterers.
Delta function potentials. Born approximation
and all that.

To my taste, I would like to call the result
a diffraction pattern. The fact that two is
a finite number does not discourage me at all.

If pressed, I think I could be persuaded to
call the scattering from a _single_ pointlike
scatterer diffraction, although I'd prefer to
just call it scattering.

Then, perhaps we may be forgiven for considering gratings and
crystals to produce "diffraction" effects if only because the number
of waves being combined, while finite, is certainly "very large."

I don't think the numerousness of the lines in
the grating that is the key idea. I think the
_spacing_ between the lines is what makes it a
diffraction grating. Eight or ten lines is enough
to do a pretty good job (although not maximally
convenient to set up).