Re: Why called diffraction?

On 04/24/2003 02:38 PM, Laurent Hodges wrote:
We shall try to
maintain the convention that interference involves the deliberate
production of two or more separate beams and that diffraction occurs
naturally when a single wave is limited in some way. We shall not always
succeed in maintaining this convention because some names - the
diffraction grating, for example - do not fit in with it and are too well
established to change.

This is the distinction I've always made in class. Then when discussing
the "diffraction grating" I point out that it should really be called an
"interference grating," and treat it as the N-slit interference pattern
where N is very large. I hope this makes it clearer to students than just
calling it a "diffraction grating" with no comment.

I am not seeing the advantage(s) of such a
definition. The disadvantages seem overwhelming.

:-) A diffraction grating is not properly
diffraction???

:-) A crystal's Xray diffraction pattern is not
properly diffraction???

:-) The anti-reflection interference coating on a
lens is not properly interference???

The alternative seems intuitive and consistent
with all the established usages I can think of.
Can anybody find a problem with this:
diffraction is defined to be:
interference of scattered waves
(sometimes excluding the trivial case