Re: moonlight

Think of the ripply surface as a diffraction grating with "orders"
of reflection.

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

Skip Kilmer writes:

When one sees moonlight reflected from the surface of a lake, if the
water is at all disturbed, the disk is stretched into a line. I've
always thought of this as diffuse reflection from the rippled
surface, and as I think about it, I can't satisfy myself why the
light should be concentrated "beneath" the moon. Why don't the
randomly directed surface ripples make it just as likely that light
hitting off to the side would reflect into our eyes?
skip

This is a nice exercise in geometry. It is easy to see that, for
example, a 1 degree maximum tilt of the water surface toward or away
from the line of sight will produce a vertical deflection of the
image of 2 degrees above or below the "flat water" image and making a
"vertical" column that is about 4 degrees (or 8 moon diameters) in
length.

The harder part is determining what corresponding tilt of the surface
is required to deflect the image the same 2 degrees to either side.
The answer depends on the height of the moon above the horizon. I
find that when the moon is 10 degrees above the horizon, a tilt of
nearly 6 degrees is required. Furthermore, the required tilt
increases in roughly inverse proportion to the height of the moon
above the horizon so that when the moon is only 2 degrees above the
horizon, a tilt of nearly 27 degrees is required. That would
correspond to some very rough conditions on the water.

Alternatively, we can ask about the results on a calm night when the
ripples are restricted to no more than 1 degree of deviation from the
horizontal. We have already seen that this would produce an 8 moon
diameter "vertical" blurring. However the side to side blurring
would be just over one diameter with the moon 10 degrees above the
horizon resulting in a fairly well defined vertical column.
Furthermore, the vertical definition would only get more precise as
the moon gets closer to the horizon.

"What did Barrow's lectures contain? Bourbaki writes with some
scorn that in his book in a hundred pages of the text there are about 180
drawings. (Concerning Bourbaki's books it can be said that in a thousand
pages there is not one drawing, and it is not at all clear which is
worse.)"
V. I. Arnol'd in
Huygens & Barrow, Newton & Hooke