Re: Relativity conundrum

At 05:35 PM 4/22/2003 +0200, you wrote:
Brian Whatcott wrote:

> At 10:17 AM 4/22/2003 +0300, Pentcho, you wrote:
> >/snip/
> >In my view, the only reliable way to experimentally falsify one of the
> >developments
> >is to measure the speed of light in a frame NOT CONTAINING THE SOURCE OF
> >LIGHT. This
> >seems feasible.
> >
> >Pentcho Valev
>
> ?
>
> Is there any reason to suppose that the numerous published experiments
> measuring the speed of light in a frame not containing the light source
> have some systematic error?

Sorry, Brian, I don't know them - I am not a physicist. Could you describe
some simple one? I was only able to imagine a paradigm-experiment: The
lightning flash reaches the back end of the train, stops a clock there, part
of the light passes through a hole and goes to the front end where it stops
another clock. The clocks were initially synchronized. For the moment I am
not able to imagine an experiment essentially different from this paradigm.

Pentcho

Like you, Pentcho, I am not a physicist; moreover, this list seems to work best
when there is a certain spontaneity to power a thread relatively quickly.
In my case, I am responding this lunch break in haste, and will follow up
when there are some spare moments.
Unsurprizingly, I used Google as a first resource, using a string like
"measuring light speed from a source moving wrt the observer"

I picked up several Gamma ray experiments which appeared to be addressing
this particular point. Talking without support, I believe the
semiannual stellar
aberration demonstrates a light source which is moving plus/minus Earth
orbital speed, and I expect I will see some determinations of speed for
this case.
You will recall that at least one astronomer used a water-filled
telescope for
a related purpose.
More, later.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK