Re: calculus-based physics final exam

I'm not sure being too hard is a problem. I've heard that a mean near
50% is actually desirable (in testing and measurement "theory"). The
main thing that I want is the ability to compare my students' scores to
those of students at other institutions.

I agree with you that the "control over the curriculum" may be the
problem. I'm not even sure that most physics teachers would agree
regarding what should be taught in the introductory calculus-based
course and the tasks students should be expected to perform on a test.

Then again, we all had to take the GRE in physics...

AT