Ionic Hair Dryer

Greetings:

Here is a note from a student this week:

__________________
this is a little random but I got my hair cut yesterday and my hairdresser
used this new, very expensive hairdryer. She said that is supposedly has
positive ions in it and then she has to use this special brush that has
negative ions in it and when you use the two togethor it dries the hair
faster but also puts moisture into the hair so not to make it dry and
brittle........And how exactly could someone stick ions in a hairdryer or
in a hairbrush? It seems a little unlikely but I will point out that my
hair did dry faster. At least it seemed to
_________________

Happily, the student's note is pretty skeptical. Among the questions that
came to my mind were:

1. Is this utter hokum? Or is there some imaginable benefit to blowing
ions into wet hair? I'm having trouble thinking of one, but then again I
was too dumb to understand "ionic air purefiers" when they first came
around.

2. The bit about the oppositely charged brush strikes me as particularly
improbable...

3. Wouldn't electrostatically charged hair attract airborne particles?
Pulling in all the shmutz in the air would seem to defeat the purpose of
washing...

I've googled at the question but only got lots of marketing slop.

Anyone on the list know anything about this?

Maybe I should crosslist with Cosmetology-L... :-)

david

David Strasburger
Physics Teacher • Science Department Technology Coordinator
Noble & Greenough School
10 Campus Drive
Dedham, MA 02026