Re: Finding information on the Internet

If you are going to rely on "secondary characteristics"
you might as well hang a sign around your neck saying
"I am not a scientist".

I have to disagree with this strongly! Or at least question your meaning
:-)

There are many places I will never go, many adventures I will never
experience, many experiments I will never perform. Not because of lack of
ability or desire, but merely a lack of time. Experiences I deem important
enough I will do myself. As for the rest, I will either have to remain
ignorant, or take someone else's word for it.

Since I like to know things, the challenge is then, whom do I trust for
information? Yes, it is "lazy" to choose an source of information based on
secondary factors, but it is wasteful to ignore secondary features.

So yes, "relying" on secondary characteristics "instead of" the primary
characteristics is very poor practice. But ignoring everything except the
must fundamental information is also poor practice. You mention the
"black/white" fallacy, but there is also the "argument of the beard"
fallacy - how many whiskers does it take to make a beard? How much
reliance on secondary characteristics is unacceptable?

It appears you have to make judgements about when to rely on your
judgements!

* Suppose I want an accurate voltage measurement. I go to pick out a
voltmeter, and the shelf has a $800 Keithley meter, a $9 Radioshack meter,
and a 40 yr old analog meter. I choose the Keithley. Not because I have
checked any of the calibrations, but because I simply "judged a book by its
cover". Brand name, cost and newness don't guarantee accuracy, but they do
correlate strongly with accuracy.

I typically only become suspicious of the measurement if it leads to a
contradiction with some other "authoritative" result. I can't afford to
spend the time checking the calibrations of every piece of equipment I use.

* Suppose I want to look for terrorists trying to blow up airplanes. Is it
"unscientific" to concentrate attention on a 20 year old Arabic male
travelling one way carrying a backpack? These are secondary
characteristics.

* suppose I want to find a reliable website. Is it unscientific to look
for
* Is the author identifiable? Look for links that say "Who We
Are," "About This Site, " or something similar.
a person who takes responsibility for the information

* What is the author's background? (e.g. experience, credentials,
occupation, have they written other publications on the topic?)
a person who has the training to understand the information?

* Does the author cite his or her sources?