Outlook Problems? Sorry-- School E-mail

Hi all,

Since I haven't tried to post in quite some time, I was not aware that my e-mail system would produce such garbled results. I sent the previous message from the web-based version of Outlook. I'm trying from the internal site now. Hope it works!

Oliver,

There is an article (also a book actually) titled "On Being the Right Size," by J. B. S. Haldane. I first read it in a "Project Physics" supplemental reader. I found a book of the same title, by the same author a few years ago. The ISBN number of the book -- which is actually a collection of essays is: 0-19-286045-3

I don't know if this is the essay to which you refer, but I have always enjoyed it. He discusses such things as the difficulties experienced by both the Brobdinagians and the Liliputians invented by Gulliver. In his "Conceptual Physics" book, Hewitt addresses scaling and some of the same issues such as ratio of surface area to volume.

Be well all,
Cherie
Cherie Lehman
Physics/Mathematics Teacher