Grade 9 integrated math/physics using Modeling Instruction

Physics listserv colleagues,
Here's FCI data for another 9th grade physics course, in response to
Richard Hake's call.

CLOSING THE GAP by INTEGRATING 9TH GRADE ALGEBRA AND PHYSICS using MODELING
INSTRUCTION

We have some evidence that an integrated 9th grade algebra and physics
course can contribute to closing the achievement gap among Anglos,
Hispanics and blacks and reducing the dropout rate. The central elements
are Modeling Instruction, true course integration, students who are willing
to work, and extended daily time with students in a learning community.
cheers,
Jane Jackson

DETAILS:
In 2000-01 a team of two Phoenix area high school teachers, each of whom
had participated in 3 or 4 weeks of Modeling Workshops, taught a successful
integrated algebra and physics course (it was called a Math & Science
Academy) to 9th grade Hispanic and black students at Tolleson High School,
a largely minority public school in urban Phoenix. Three students were
classified as ESL, and only one student had a college-educated parent.

The teachers used Modeling Instruction in a full year course of 2
consecutive 90-minute blocks daily. For the first block, both instructors
taught. For the second block, only one teacher taught.

The teachers identified use of Modeling Instruction, the integrated
approach, and the extended time (thus enabling the students to become a
learning community) as the three most important factors in their success.
"A crucial element was that we rarely differentiated the allotted time. We
didn't do 1 1/2 hours of algebra followed by 1 1/2 hours of physics. It
was truly, and as much as possible, an integrated approach", they said.
"You can't do science without being proficient in the language of science,
which is math."

Their students, who tested into REGULAR algebra at the beginning of the
year, scored higher in the district's end of year achievement test than the
traditionally taught HONORS 9th grade algebra class. The students' Force
Concept Inventory posttest scores averaged about 61%; these scores are
comparable to those for typical honors physics courses of high school
seniors that are taught by Modeling Instruction, and to Arizona State
University's (ASU's) calculus-based physics course for engineers, which is
taught traditionally.

At the end of the year, ten students took an ASU placement exam for Prof.
J. Bustoz's summer math/science honors program for disadvantaged minorities
in high schools. All but one of those students placed into pre-calculus.
The next fall, as sophomores, they enrolled in a Tolleson High School
junior-level course: "Math Analysis".

The two Academy teachers told us that, in their experience, Hispanic and
black children's lack of school achievement is "a family environment
problem, not a cultural problem." "Their parents are getting by, surviving,
without an education. There are no books in the house, no quiet place to
work at home, their parents can't help them. Put them in a good environment
and they'll learn", they said. "The extended time with the students was
important!" "One student was ripe to be a gang member, and he turned
completely around. He scored 97% on the FCI", they said.

We believe that similar excellent results with such "Math-Science Academies
for minority students" can occur at other schools if they are preceded by
sufficient teacher training and have school administration support.

This report and descriptions of other 9th grade implementations of Modeling
Instruction are online in pdf format at
<http://modeling.asu.edu/listserv.html>.

---------------------------------
Notes and supplementary information. Statements in quotes are comments by
either of the two teachers.
1. The Force Concept Inventory (FCI), the most widely used test of
conceptual understanding in physics, is online at
<http://modeling.asu.edu>. Click on "Research and Evaluation."
2. Students' pretest FCI scores averaged 19%, a random score.
3. The teachers wanted 28 to 30 students but, due to computer problems and
privacy issues, had to start with only 22 students. "The students were
selected for this program. We asked for recommendations from the 8th grade
teachers for students who met basically three criteria: a) "disadvantaged"
student, b) average or below in algebra, c) students who would work
hard. We also encouraged teachers to recommend students who had the
ability and, without this program, might fall through the cracks. We need
to be honest and realize that this program will not work unless the
students are motivated and willing to work. ... Also noteworthy is the fact
that the majority of the students had sub-par math scores, but average or
above average reading scores."
4. Sixteen students completed the year. "A couple refused to work; one
withdrew because his parents wanted him to 'have fun' in high school and
thought he had too much homework from us; one transferred to a different
school." Of the 16 who finished, three were black and the rest Hispanic; 7
were girls, 9 were boys.
5. Each unit started with labs, to show the NEED for math: math was a
language for the science that they did. Computers were used with MBL
probes. Science content was mechanics. (Modeling Workshop participants can
freely download instructional materials.)
6. "We had lots of discourse: we forced kids to talk science." They used a
variety of strategies: circle whiteboarding, Socratic questioning, and team
presentations.
7. Mandatory tutoring was enforced.
8. Parental involvement consisted only of an initial agreement to allow
their child to be in a "special class" and a requirement that the student
attend tutoring sessions.
9. "The students felt special; they knew that they were getting background
knowledge for any career, they knew that they were doing junior and senior
level work. We had high expectations of them." The ability to take a summer
school class at ASU was important for the motivation of a few students.
10. "The district has a criterion reference math test; it was too easy -
the students scored in the 90%'s. Class averages of students in other
regular 9th grade algebra were in the 60% to 70%'s. Our students did better
than the honors algebra class of about 20 freshmen."
11. "It is important to note that the administration provided the financial
support for this program. It was not difficult to obtain the necessary
equipment for the most part. And they were willing to spend extra money to
allow two teachers to teach a small class (an added cost of over $10,000).
The support in other areas was poor..."
12. "I can't begin to describe the amount of respect and admiration I have
for the lead instructor. He really made the difference with the program. He
works very well with the students and makes the concepts very easy to
comprehend. I learned a tremendous amount from him and am a better teacher
because of this association."

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331 <http://modeling.asu.edu>
"In the matter of physics, the first lessons should
contain nothing but what is experimental and interesting
to see. A pretty experiment is in itself often more
valuable than twenty formulae extracted from our minds."
- Albert Einstein