Re: robust software

On 03/11/2003 07:53 PM, Joe Heafner wrote about the
totalitarian software policy at his institution. A
few snippets are quoted below; for the rest please see:
http://lists.nau.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0303&L=phys-l&P=R9308

> Our IT guys have the authority to
> dictate what software is appropriate for a given
> instructional purpose. I am NOT exaggerating.
> computer use is hobbled beyond reasonable functionality.
> the only reason given being "Deviation from the
> campus standard, IE, is not allowed."
> We are planning a new math/science building. Our computer science
> faculty have absolutely no say so in what computer equipment will be
> used in the comp sci labs, no say so over hardware or software.

This is mind-boggling.

> UNIX classes will be using Win2k

Whaaaat?

> I'm trying VERY HARD to get away from this institution.

Quite understandable!

It sounds like the inmates are running the asylum.

I am currently gathering documentation and exploring the possibility
of legal action on the grounds of infringement of academic freedom.

I assume there's been a gradual process of escalation. How
many of the following steps have been tried? With what results?
-- Gather documentation, as mentioned above.
-- Meet with head of IT. Explain that IT is supposed to be
a support function, in support of the college's educational
mission. Tell him he's got a lot of dissatisfied customers.
Tell him a more flexible policy is needed.
-- If that doesn't work, escalate to the college president.
-- If that doesn't generate a response, bring it up at next
month's faculty meeting.
-- If that doesn't work, bring it up with the state board of
community colleges.
-- If that doesn't work, WHKY might accidentally find out
about it.